Program Assistant, August 2013 – April 2014
Middle East Studies Program, Jerusalem
- Worked with a team to run a rigorous study abroad program.
- Managed email communication with the program’s nearly 1000 alumni.
- Wrote and proofread academic documents, promotional material, correspondence and website updates.
- Exercised judgment and discretion when handling students’ emotional, physical and academic struggles.
- Interacted with people from various backgrounds and cultures.
- Provided administrative support to the Director by managing the program’s daily schedule, coordinating meetings and lectures and organizing the electronic filing system.
- Managed regional travel for a group of 18 students while staying within budget.
- Supported students through cultural transitions and coached them on developing intercultural skills.
Social Media Producer, May 2012 – July 2013
abc27 News, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Successfully created and implemented a campaign to increase the station’s social media fan base and interactions by nearly 50 percent in 14 months.
- Increased the station’s Klout score by 17 points, bringing it 17 points higher than any other station in the market.
- Juggled multiple projects while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Pitched and produced stories with creative standup and live components for abc27’s evening broadcasts.
- Wrote up to two dozen stories a day for abc27.com.
- Developed sources to obtain insider information.
- Reported on the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse case and published one-of-a-kind court notes.
- Acted as an advocate for the viewers during daily editorial meetings – pitching stories they were concerned about and pushing for coverage of topics they were interested in.
- Trained staff members – both young and old – on the effective use and management of social media.
Reporting Intern, February 2012 – April 2012
abc27 News, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Wrote scripts and developed visual storytelling skills by shooting and editing news packages.
- Conducted research and rewrote broadcast scripts for online publication.
Editor-in-Chief, August 2011 – May 2012
Swinging Bridge, Messiah College, Grantham, Pa.
- Vetted story ideas, contributed content and ensured adherence to AP style and journalism ethics while remaining ultimately responsible for the production of a timely newspaper.
- Maintained an up-to-date and professional online and social media presence.
Contributing Writer, September 2011 – December 2011
PoliticsPA, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Took initiative to produce and edit informative and concise articles for an online news service while promoting content on various social media news venues.
- Developed and maintained a network of sources to be the first to provide readers with breaking news and exclusive interviews.
State Capitol Reporting Intern, May – August 2011
Pennsylvania Legislative Correspondents’ Association, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Managed multiple projects at once; successfully developed in-depth features while aggressively working to track down information for daily stories.
- Stayed up-to-date on local and national news, initiating projects and suggesting story ideas based on trends and current events.
Reporting Intern, February – April 2010
Market News International, Washington, D.C.
- Pitched, wrote and researched articles in a fast-paced environment, paying careful attention to organization and detail.
- Worked on deadline to attend Washington, D.C. events, recognize interesting news elements and produce high quality wire service copy
Ghana, West Africa, September 2002 – May 2008
- Strengthened my ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people
Jerusalem, Israel, August 2013 – April 2014
- Developed an in-depth and practical knowledge of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Palestinian and Israeli cultures and societies and Arabic language
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Photoshop, Excel, Access)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop,Bridge, Premier, Audition, Dreamweaver, InDesign)
- Basic HTML, WordPress, WorldNow
- Google platform (Gmail, Calendar, Drive)
- American Sign Language (minimum professional proficiency)
- Spanish (limited working proficiency)
- Arabic (elementary proficiency)
- Twi (elementary proficiency)